John Terry's Mexican Lasagne
When Terry's in for a hard day's training, this is what he eats to keep his energy levels up!
Mexican Chicken Lasagne
John Terry’s Mexican Chicken Lasagne serves: 4-6 people
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
You will need:
Two or three drops of Olive Oil
400g lean minced chicken
1 red pepper, chopped
440g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
575g jar tomato-based pasta sauce
400g can chopped tomatoes
375g fresh lasagne sheets
375g low-fat ricotta cheese
½ cup grated reduced-fat cheese
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
2. Ask an adult to help you add the olive oil to the pan and heat
3. Place the chicken mince into the pan and cook until browned. Use a wooden spoon to carefully break up the lumps
4. Add the pepper, kidney beans, pasta sauce and chopped tomatoes to the pan and use the wooden spoon to stir all the ingredients together
5. Add a few drops of olive oil to a lasagne dish and arrange a layer of lasagne sheets over the bottom
7. Add a thin layer of sauce on top of the pasta, followed by another layer of pasta
8. Continue layering the pasta and sauce, finishing with a layer of pasta
9. Spread the ricotta over the top layer of pasta, and sprinkle with the grated cheese
10. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the lasagne begins to brown around the edges
11. Ask an adult to help you to remove the lasagne dish from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
12. Cut into squares to serve
Before a big game, Terry likes to increase the carbohydrate content of this meal with a large crusty roll and a mixed salad for an added vitamin boost
• Endurance athletes, athletes who are growing and athletes who want to increase their muscle mass have high fuel needs. Their body needs more foods containing carbohydrate so they should choose larger serving sizes.
• Skill-based athletes and athletes trying to reduce their body fat have low fuel needs. Their body needs less energy so they should choose smaller serving sizes.
• This meal will give you lots of different vitamins and minerals, including calcium, vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin A and phosphorus.